kdepim4.5

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jul 5 07:13:03 UTC 2010

Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> In kde-unstable along the path to testing and then fedora-testing and
> finally stable. And with relative certainty that things are going to work
> by the end of the process. We know that kdepim 4.5 is not going to work.
> That means putting the current unstable packages into testing.

Since there's still some confusion on this, let's set this straight: kdepim
4.5 will NOT hit updates-testing nor kde-redhat testing before AT LEAST RC
stage (and most likely not even that) and DEFINITELY NOT any stable
repository before upstream declares it stable. (And even then, it'll only
get pushed if there aren't any regressions blocking an update.) We are NOT
going to push beta releases of kdepim 4.5 into testing repositories, ONLY
unstable.

A package being in kde-redhat unstable does NOT mean it's headed for testing
or stable in any particular timeframe. While some packages make it out of
unstable quickly and for all supported Fedora releases, others (e.g. KOffice
2) have stayed in unstable for years and were only shipped with new
releases, not as updates at all. Things only make it out of unstable when
they're actually usable, and only get pushed as updates to existing releases
when they don't cause regressions.

I hope this clears up that particular misunderstanding.

        Kevin Kofler