Distribution list for KMail/Kontact

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 14 06:46:50 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 01:02:37 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> I'd like to create (and use) a Distribution List.
> >>
> >> My setup is slightly complicated, though not I think unusual.
> >> I'm actually running IMAP to access email on my server
> >> from my laptop.
> >> I am running Fedora-13 on my laptop, with kdepim-4.4.4,
> >> but am running CentOS-5.5 on my server, with kdepim-3.5.4.
> >
> > I have a very similar setup.  However I use IMAP only for mail access -
> > not to
> > serve addresses and calendar.  If you are serving them, your experience
> > will be different to mine.
>
> Thanks very much for your response.
>
> I probably did not explain my setup clearly.
> I collect email on my desktop from 3 public mail servers (such as gmail).
> I run dovecot on the desktop,
> which allows me to read the email (with kmail) on my laptop.
>
> So I suppose I am running a mail server in some sense on my desktop.
> But I don't accept email on the desktop from outside my system,
> which is what I would normally think of as characterising a mail server.

In that case you are running both mail server and client on the same system -
which isn't a problem.

> >> Is there actually any way of setting up a distribution list
> >> within this setup?
> >
> > Assuming that your addressbook is akonadi-controlled, simply Add a Group.
>
> I'm not sure how one tells if KAddressBook is "akonadi-controlled".
> In any case, File=>New=>New Group in KAddressBook is greyed out.
> (I don't see Add a Group as an option anywhere.)
>
> I notice I don't have the KAddressBook handbook or manual on my system,
> though I have yum-installed both kdepim and kdepim-devel .
> (As I mentioned, my version of kdepim is 4.4.4-1 .)

OK - it sounds as though you may have somehow managed to by-pass the migration
- the first thing is to find out whether you have any records in
~/.local/share/contacts.  If you have, your records have been migrated.   If
not, I'll help you through getting your old records into a new akonadi-
controlled addressbook.  Be aware that nepomuk must be running - you can
disable strigi if you find resource problems, though.

You'll find lots of issues documented on these UserBase pages, but check the
directory I mentioned first, and if you aren't sure which steps apply to you
we should be able to sort it out, with that answer.

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting
http://userbase.kde.org/KAddressBook
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook