XSession help needed

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 14 10:01:19 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 21:18:03 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 July 2010 20:56:34 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > Your welcome
> > >
> > > Eli
> >
> > Hi, Eli.  Here you are: http://pastebin.ca/1899947
> >
> > I was working on several things, so had both Konqueror and Chromium open
> > with a number of tabs each.  Without warning X crashed.  The mouse could
> > move the cursor - white arrow on black screen, and the keyboard appeared
> > to be read - Ctrl-alt-F2 was recognised, and so, when I tried it
> > eventually, was Ctrl-alt- Del.  Ctrl-alt-backspace did nothing, though.
> > I tried to use a VT to restart plasma, but I don't think it's plasma
> > that crashed, I think it was X itself.
> >
> > Hope you have some ideas :-)
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hi Anne
>
> What I can see from the logs that you presented was that all the way down
> Xwindows seemed to be healthy.

Well that rules out one thing.  FWIW, Rex also said on IRC that if I could
move the cursor around with the mouse, like that, X hadn't crashed, so we are
looking for something else.

> You say that you were able to switch over to a console. The next time it
> happens please post the output of
>
> ps aux

I'll do that.

> One possibility that comes to mind is that it is very possible that the
> computer overheated.

I don't think so.  I run gkrellm, and this laptop reports about 10' cooler
constantly than my older laptop did when idling.  It never seems to raise more
than a few degrees.

> Konqueror /  Chromium) hmmm....

I have had some problems with Konqueror in the past, which is why I use
Chromium quite a lot.  It just seems more stable.  I wouldn't be surprised to
find that Konqueror is implicated.

> Questions (probably silly). Are you using
> adobe's flash plugin? Is it the 64 bit version or the 32 bit version?

I have flash-plugin-10.1.53.64-release.i386

> If
> the 32 bit version are you using it in a 64 bit environment?

No.

> If you are
> using flash do you experience the same symptoms if you were to use firefox
> or google-chrome?

Flash videos run perfectly in FF and Chromium, but not at all in Konqueror.  I
had clicked on a video link, forgetfully, earlier, so Konqueror would have
tried to run it and failed.  It's possible that there is a connection there.

At Rex's suggestion, I'm trying xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.12.0 from koji.  In this
morning's logwatch I see

WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
    ACPI Error (psargs-0359): [ ...:  8 Time(s)
    ACPI Error (psparse-0537):  ...:  8 Time(s)
    [<f81f1041>] ? i915_error_object_create+0x ...:  5 Time(s)
    [<f81f1083>] i915_error_object_create+0x ...:  11 Time(s)
    [<f81f13f2>] i915_handle_error+0x314/0x813 [i91 ...:  4 Time(s)
    [<f81f140e>] i915_handle_error+0x330/0x813 [i91 ...:  7 Time(s)
    render error detected, EIR: 0 ...:  157 Time(s)

I don't think the ACPI errors have any connection, but the rest probably do.
I haven't yet trawled through logs to find out exactly when this happened, so
I don't know whether it is building up to the crash, or whether it concerns
the new driver.  Later today I'll see if I can put a time on them.

One thing I have found in the logs - prior to installing this experimental
driver, the kdm.log showed

intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1069: Error setting domain 601: Input/output error
intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1069: Error setting domain 828: Input/output error
intel_bufmgr_gem.c:1069: Error setting domain 639: Input/output error

With the new driver that has disappeared, so that has to be a step in the
right direction :-)

'messages' is full of kernel errors, some of which are probably related.  It's
probably too big for pastebin, but I could post it somewhere and send the link
to anyone wanting to read it.

KDE Community Working Group