Distribution list for KMail/Kontact

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jul 16 11:15:19 UTC 2010

Anne Wilson wrote:

> OK - it sounds as though you may have somehow managed to by-pass the
> migration - the first thing is to find out whether you have any records in
> ~/.local/share/contacts.  If you have, your records have been migrated.
> If not, I'll help you through getting your old records into a new akonadi-
> controlled addressbook.  Be aware that nepomuk must be running - you can
> disable strigi if you find resource problems, though.
>
> You'll find lots of issues documented on these UserBase pages, but check
> the directory I mentioned first, and if you aren't sure which steps apply
> to you we should be able to sort it out, with that answer.
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting
> http://userbase.kde.org/KAddressBook
> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook

Thanks again for your help.

I read the userbase documents above that you suggested.
These convinced me that I don't understand properly
how KAddressBook works or is supposed to work,
so I had better try to understand that before getting on
to distribution lists.

Actually, I do have one contact in ~/.local/share/contacts/
and both akonadi and nepomuk are running on my laptop,
so I guess my records have migrated as they should.
I used to get a warning message about akonadi when I started KMail,
but this seem to have stopped.

What puzzles me (well, many things do, but this comes first)
is that while KMail finds entries in the OpenLDAP address book
on my desktop, and KAddressBook seems to see this server,
KAddressBook does not find the LDAP entries,
eg if I search for a name in the LDAP address book.

What I am wondering is if KMail always goes through
KAddressBook (or Kontact) to find email addresses,
or if it has its own independent search mechanism?

I wonder too if my real problem is that the new Kontact
is assuming that everthing is working on one machine,
and so is not suited to my arrangement
where my email is kept on my desktop,
but read on my laptop?

If so, it seems to me that this is a philosophical error
on the part of KDE-pim,
as I would assume my setup is likely to become the norm.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net