Distribution list for KMail/Kontact

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 16 19:36:39 UTC 2010

On Friday 16 July 2010 12:15:19 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > OK - it sounds as though you may have somehow managed to by-pass the
> > migration - the first thing is to find out whether you have any records
> > in ~/.local/share/contacts.  If you have, your records have been
> > migrated. If not, I'll help you through getting your old records into a
> > new akonadi- controlled addressbook.  Be aware that nepomuk must be
> > running - you can disable strigi if you find resource problems, though.
> >
> > You'll find lots of issues documented on these UserBase pages, but check
> > the directory I mentioned first, and if you aren't sure which steps apply
> > to you we should be able to sort it out, with that answer.
> >
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_4.4/Troubleshooting
> > http://userbase.kde.org/KAddressBook
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> I read the userbase documents above that you suggested.
> These convinced me that I don't understand properly
> how KAddressBook works or is supposed to work,
> so I had better try to understand that before getting on
> to distribution lists.
>
> Actually, I do have one contact in ~/.local/share/contacts/
> and both akonadi and nepomuk are running on my laptop,
> so I guess my records have migrated as they should.
> I used to get a warning message about akonadi when I started KMail,
> but this seem to have stopped.

If you only have one contact there, I'd guess that the migration started then
failed, possibly because it wasn't expecting an LDAP addressbook.  You need to
add the LDAP addressbook as a resource.  IMO the easiest way is to start
krunner (alt+F2), type in Akonadi and select Akonadi Tray Utility.  Once you
have that you can easily use it to configure Akolnadi.  You will probably find
that some resources are said to be present - use the Modify button to see
where they point, and get rid of them if you think they are not needed.  If
there is a Personal Contacts resource it should point to
~/.local/share/contacts/ and you should keep that one.  If you then Add a
resource you can select LDAP as the type, and point to the address for your
addressbook.  After that you should find that it works.

> What puzzles me (well, many things do, but this comes first)
> is that while KMail finds entries in the OpenLDAP address book
> on my desktop, and KAddressBook seems to see this server,
> KAddressBook does not find the LDAP entries,
> eg if I search for a name in the LDAP address book.
>
> What I am wondering is if KMail always goes through
> KAddressBook (or Kontact) to find email addresses,
> or if it has its own independent search mechanism?

KMail has (and has always had) two mechanisms.  It keeps a small number of
addresses as Recent Addresses (I haven't counted them, but probably about 20).
They are stored in kmailrc.  If the address you have started to type isn't in
that list it then turns to KAddressBook.

> I wonder too if my real problem is that the new Kontact
> is assuming that everthing is working on one machine,
> and so is not suited to my arrangement
> where my email is kept on my desktop,
> but read on my laptop?

I could be entirely wrong about this, but I think this "Mark 1", as you might
say, migration did expect to be migrating a local std.vcf.  However, it does
work with other formats.

> If so, it seems to me that this is a philosophical error
> on the part of KDE-pim,
> as I would assume my setup is likely to become the norm.

IMAP mail is no problem.  I understand a remote LDAP is also no problem
although it's not something I've tested.  They certainly have made provision
for different types of addressbook, but as far as I can see, the first-run
thing probably didn't check for those.  There is a new migration tool for 4.5,
when it is ready for release.  That should be more clever.  I've seen a video
demonstration of it, and it was very impressive.

KDE Community Working Group