XSession help needed

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:33:25 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 18:06:05 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 July 2010 14:05:33 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > anne     29776  0.1  4.2 179956 164764 ?       Sl   Jul17   7:06
> > /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile /tmp/virtuoso_n29770.ini
> > +wait
>
> Hi Anne
>
> The only thing that I see that maybe (and that's a very iffy maybe) you've
> got a buggy plasmoid running. Its maybe, because virtuoso seems to be the
> only application utilizing any CPU time at all. But, like I said, its very
> iffy because it wasn't very much CPU.
>
> Other than that, I would suggest running with a brand new user or make a
> complete backup of your home folder, and start with an absolutely clean
> configuration and see if the problem reappears.
>
> I've had some difficulty with plasma during the transisiton from 4.4 to 4.5
> probably due to the Beta nature of 4.5 But that was overcome. Part of the
> problem was that when I started kde on my dual screen one of my screens was
> completely black. However, I could move my mouse and regular applications
> would appear on the "black" screen. I did not attribute that to a bug, but
> rather corruption due to a unclean shutdown. Now I understand that its not
> exactly the same issue as you've been having, but it does sound similar.

Well the circumstances are different, but it does indeed sound very similar.
I have a clear white arrow that moves freely on a black screen.  The second
terminal tells me that X is running, which fits with what Rex had said.  A
Plasma failure usually leaves applications running and visible, but nothing is
visible.  It's a bit of a mystery.  Happily it's not too frequent.  I'll just
keep experimenting whenever I have some time.  Thanks for trying to help.

KDE Community Working Group