Small query on distribution lists

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jul 24 16:07:23 UTC 2010

Giuliano Colla wrote:

>> But I suppose KAddressBook could similarly have a facility
>> to ask KMail to send items to each member of a distribution list?
>>
> It could, if it had been designed to behave as a list manager, but it
> hasn't. It is Kmail which asks addresses to KAddressBook, not
> KAddressBook which tells KMail what to do.

But I don't imagine it would be very difficult
to add that facility to KMail.
As you say, KMail asks KAddressBook for an address or addresses.
Surely it would be almost trivial if several addresses are given,
as by a distribution list,
to ask if they should be sent separately or in one email.

This would provide a very basic and simple list manager.
Mailman is much more ambitious, obviously,
allowing mail to be sent by members to the list,
maintaining archives, etc.

But sometimes one just wants to send email
to a specified list of people.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net