New low contrast icons in 4.5

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Tue Jul 27 14:26:14 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 15:21:50 Lukas Middendorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed 4.5rc3 and wonder if it is possible to get back the old
> icons in System Tray.
> All (almost) icons (klipper, kmix, krandrtray, Battery
> Monitor widget, Device Notifier, ...) seem to have been replaced by new gray
> icons that only really work on the black oxygen background. The contrast is
> very low on my gray Aya background.
> Also the old colored icons looked much
> nicer in my opinion (especially kmix).
>
> So is there a way to get back the
> old icon theme?

afaik there is no official way how to revert this "feature", <sarcasm>why
should one want to remove that must-have icons? user does not need this
option. Welcome to Gnom^wKDE world</sarcasm>

I don't care about new icons if I can opt-out from this feature. That's what I like
about KDE - higher configurability, unfortunately this does not apply here

Anyway, I should stop complaining (sorry folks, I'm just depressed from the
"no option" change). There is still hope because you can "turn this off" by removing
monochromatic icon files. They live here:

/usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/default/icons/*.svgz

Michal