KMail + OpenLDAP

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Jul 29 11:00:02 UTC 2010

It is possible, but unduly difficult,
to use a remote OpenLDAP address book
with current (4.4.5) KMail/KAddressBook .

A simple search in KAddressBook
for a name in the LDAP directory yields nothing.
As far as I can see,
one has to click on Import from LDAP Server
and then give the name in the new window that comes up.

I don't see any simple way of transferring the email address
given in this way to KMail,
except by copy and paste.

Incidentally, this is not relevant here
but it is even more difficult to use a remote LDAP directory
with Windows XP,
where is seems necessary to make a change in the Registry.

I would have thought a common Address Book
for different operation systems would be a common need?