system-settings and logout

Robert Szalai robicjedi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:46:44 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I was trying to use 4.5 betas and now RC3 from kde-unstable and have a
two annoying problems.

a) When I change something in system-setting and press the Apply
button the whole desktop hangs. I need to restart X and log in again.
The changes I made seem to be there after restarting X, though.

b) On logout/restart/shutdown the desktop freezes again, there is no
indication what is going on. The timer that supposed to show how much
time is left stays at 24 seconds. Also pressing the logout/restart/
shutdown button in the middle of the screen give no reaction. However,
after waiting about 20 seconds the logout/restart/shutdown will occur.
It is just annoying that there is feedback and why do I need to wait
for the timeout and why can't I just press the button?

Problem a) occurs regardless if desktop effects are on/off. Problem b)
only occurs with desktop effects on. Out of curiosity I've tested it
with Kubuntu with their 4.5rc2 packages and to my surprise neither of
these problems were present with desktop effects on.

Does anybody have similar experience, is there a bug report and why
does Kubuntu work and Fedora doesn't?

Thanks,
Robert