What is kdewallet for?

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Fri Jul 30 10:45:33 UTC 2010

On Friday 30 July 2010 00:33:36 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> For some reason,
laptop 1 only asks me once
> for my wallet password when I reboot,
> and
never if I hibernate.

It is configured that way.

System Settings ->
Account details -> kde wallet -> access control

> However, laptop 2
repeated asks
> for my kdewallet password
> when I launch an
application.

There is an option on access control that literally
says:
Prompt when an application accesses an open wallet

> Can I safely
disable kdewallet?

> I really don't understand what it is for.
> I just
find it a nuisance,
> and it doesn't make me feel any safer.

The wallet
allows you to store passwords in a single place guarded by a master
password. It is extremely effective for what it was
designed.

Examples:
reading PDF password protected documents
accessing web
sites that require a password
amarok
kmail/kontact
konqueror
(ftp/ssh/...)
knetworkmanager

The advantage is that the passwords for these
services are not stored on a plain format and that is really a good
thing.
--
José Abílio