What is kdewallet for?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 12:57:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 11:45 +0100, José Matos wrote:
> The wallet
> allows you to store passwords in a single place guarded by a master
> password. It is extremely effective for what it was
> designed.
>
> Examples:
> reading PDF password protected documents
> accessing web
> sites that require a password
> amarok
> kmail/kontact
> konqueror
> (ftp/ssh/...)
> knetworkmanager
>
> The advantage is that the passwords for these
> services are not stored on a plain format and that is really a good
> thing.

This is certainly true, but it's very unfortunate that anyone using a
Gnome app under KDE (e.g. Evolution) also has to deal with the
completely separate gnome-keyring system. AFAIK kdewallet and
gnome-keyring do essentially the same thing but they don't talk to each
other. It would be so much better to have a unified system that
supported both APIs, but I guess that's never going to happen.

poc