Scrambled screen, then no Fedora

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 5 07:15:26 UTC 2010

On Thursday 03 June 2010 22:04:46 dexter wrote:
> 2010/6/3 Anne Wilson <cannewilson googlemail.com>:
> > I'm not sure what's happening on my new laptop - the F13 one.  I had
> > quite a few windows open. when suddenly the screen scrambled - it looked
> > as though holes were punched in every character.  The wallpaper and
> > plasmoids were unaffected.  It held like that for a few seconds, then
> > dropped out to a black screen with a white cursor.  It wouldn't accept
> > any input from keyboard or mouse.
> >
> > I powered off, waited a while and powered up again.  It got to the
> > f-infinity buble completed, and stuck there.  Thinking that it may be a
> > kernel update (I usually reboot when I see one, but could have missed
> > doing) I tried the previous kernel.  Exactly the same.  f-infinity.
> >  That's all.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what could have gone wrong?  Without a clue it's
> > difficult to decide on a plan of action.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Remove rhgb & quiet from the editable boot prompt or press esc to see
> the boot text, will bring more clues.

The problem is in fstab mounts.

I had already seen long delays in booting up, that resulted from getting
messages such as

Mounting NFS filesystems: mount.nfs4: /mnt/server_Data1 is busy or already
mounted

but hadn't worried too much, because by the time kde was started my
folderviews were displaying the mounts.  It sounds illogical, but since it
worked I wasn't worrying too much.

Then I created a samba mount.  This, it appears, is what finally froze things.
It isn't reading/using the credentials file - which appears on both client and
server, since I want to be capable of mounting in both directions.  Has
something changed in the way this is handled?

There are other oddities concerning these mounts.

NFS mounts - I have three mounts set up.  During the boot attempts I have seen
one, two and all three mounts listed - it seems variable.

CIFS mount - on the occasion when all 3 NFS mounts were listed I was able to
type in the user password.  On the times when less that 3 were listed no input
was recognised.  Coincidence?  I don't know.

KDE Community Working Group