Scrambled screen, then no Fedora

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 6 08:19:07 UTC 2010

On Saturday 05 June 2010 20:12:21 Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > > chkconfig network on
> >

> > I haven't tried that, since the network is controlled by
> > networkManager.  The laptop does sometimes have to be used on
> > other wifi networks.
>
> I have both enabled, network (as S10) and NetworkManager (as S27 which
> gave me the problems. There seems to be some fixes in between, as
> disabling and reenabling the service starts them as S23)
>
> So, enabling network too, to check if this makes any difference may be
> a idea isn't it?
>

> > > change anything (if you use wired ethernet connections)? In which
> > > order are the services started (ls in /etc/init.d/rc5.d)?
> >

> > Not sure this is what you want, but I think it is:
> >

> > S23NetworkManager
> > S24avahi-daemon
> > S24nfslock
> > S24rpcgssd
> > S24rpcidmapd
> > S25cups
> > S25netfs
>
> This seems to be quite good.
>
> Do you have set up the ip-addresses and names in all your /etc/hosts
> file (or DNS if you use this)? Some of the services use forward and/or
> reverse name lookups and if they fail you get these ugly 30 second
> timeouts.

I tried setting up /etc/hosts first.  I always used to do that, but have
fallen by the wayside recently.  It didn't help in this problem.

I then enabled the network service - and yes, the delays are gone.  I guess
that once again it is the shortcomings of networkManager that have caused the
problems.

So - are there any problems associated with running both the network service
and networkManager?  It seems to me that they could conflict, since both
expect to be in control.

KDE Community Working Group