Device Notifier misidentifies iPhone

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 17:44:31 UTC 2010

On plugging in my iPhone 3GS, dmesg gives me:

usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=05ac, idProduct=1294
usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1: Product: iPhone
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Furthermore, under VirtualBox I can access the phone, synch it etc. The
VBox USB pop-up also identifies it as an "Apple iPhone".

However the Device Notifier pop-up says it a Sony DCR-SR75, which I
think is a digital camera (the only menu option is "Download Photos with
Digikam"). Clearly some database somewhere is corrupt, but where?

poc