yum update failure with kde packages

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Tue Jun 15 02:37:31 UTC 2010

On Mon 14 June 2010 4:27:53 pm Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 14:19 -0700, George R Goffe wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I ran across this error today and was wondering if there's a problem
> > with these packages or if I have blundered somehow.
> >
> > Any/all hints/tips/suggestions would be most greatly appreciated.
>
> 1) You seem to have the kde-testing repo enabled. Unless you really want
> to do KDE testing, that's probably not a good idea. That in itself could
> explain the error you're getting (testing repos are less reliable than
> stable ones).

This is indeed the problem.
http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/fedora/13/x86_64/testing/RPMS/ is
missing kdelibs 4.4.4 and kdebase-runtime 4.4.4 ... the solution is to wait
for rdieter to poke his head in here to push them ;)

> 2) You also have a large number of yum plugins enabled. Do you need them
> all? Hint: I use 6, you use 15. Not necessarily bad, but fewer plugins
> means fewer things to go wrong.

So? The number of plugins enabled don't affect the content of the repos, or
yum's depsolving ability (or in this case inability).

> And finally a couple of list-etiquette comments:
>
> a) Don't reply to digests. You could easily have posted this message
> directly rather than as a reply (in fact it isn't even in reply to the
> contents of the digest). Replying and changing the Subject line isn't a
> substitute.

It didn't break threading or anything, why does it matter? That's just being
pedantic.

> b) Don't post in HTML. Among other things, it makes replying to you
> significantly harder for those that prefer plaintext email.

It was plaintext here.

> poc

Ryan "I thought mailing lists were supposed to have polite help" Rix

--
Ryan Rix
== http://rix.si/page/contact/ if you need a word         ==