Shutdown Issue

John5342 john5342 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:54:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 08:54, Eli Wapniarski <eli at orbsky.homelinux.org> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with this.
>
> A colleague at work recently upgraded from F12 to 13 on his Dell
> Inspirion 1545 with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330. Everything seems
> to be working just fine, except, when he initiates a shutdown it hangs
> at the end.
>
> I think it might have something to do with the opensource driver,
> because when he had the proprietary driver installed from rpmfusion
> for F12 there was no such issue. When he had the opensource driver
> installed in F12 before the proprietary driver became available, his
> computer experienced the same issue. Now that there is no proprietary
> driver available for F13 again he is forced to use the opensource
> driver. Mind you, the performance has improved immensely, but he still
> can't shutdown the computer correctly.

I have experienced this too on occasion (fresh install of f13 +
kde-redhat-unstable both with and without proprietary nvidia drivers).
Not managed to narrow it down far enough to get around to a bug
report. I think it's Plasma Workspace seems to crash with a
segmentation fault during exit but by that point of the shutdown it
seems to be unable to display the drkonqi dialog box reliably.
Sometimes it is shown but is unresponsive. Most times the screen just
goes blank and then hangs. Switching to another terminal (Alt+F2) and
killing drkonqi allows shutdown to continue. After that it seems to
shut down fine a few times before starting to hang again. that's as
far as i have got in the investigation.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...