xterm not in KDE menus anywhere?

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 23 21:05:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Richard Zidlicky <rz at linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 03:14:17PM +0200, Thomas Janssen wrote:
>
>> You sound like a old-skool linuxer so i guess you know how to edit a
>> .desktop file. 99.9% don't need/want xterm to show up in the menu so
>> it's hidden in both big Desktops.
>
> Why do the 99.9% install it at all if konsole and gnome-term are so much
> better? As far as I can see xterm is not installed by default anywhere.

Install one of them and you get xterm installed:

9wm-0:1.2-2.fc13.x86_64
aplus-fsf-0:4.22.4-19.fc12.i686
aplus-fsf-0:4.22.4-19.fc12.x86_64
cairo-dock-core-0:2.1.3.9-1.fc13.x86_64
cairo-dock-core-0:2.1.3.9-2.fc13.x86_64
clusterssh-0:3.26-2.fc12.noarch
ddd-0:3.3.12-5.fc12.x86_64
fvwm-0:2.5.26-4.fc12.x86_64
gmrun-0:0.9.2-19.fc13.x86_64
icewm-0:1.2.37-7.fc13.x86_64
idesk-0:0.7.5-9.fc12.x86_64
idesk-0:0.7.5-10.fc13.x86_64
kde-settings-kdm-0:4.4-16.fc13.noarch
slim-0:1.3.1-10.fc13.x86_64
streamtuner-0:0.99.99-31.fc13.x86_64
tn5250-0:0.17.4-3.fc12.i686
tn5250-0:0.17.4-3.fc12.x86_64
uzbl-0:0-0.13.20100410gitec473e124.fc13.x86_64
xmonad-0:0.9.1-2.fc13.x86_64
xzgv-0:0.9.1-2.fc13.x86_64

A lot of people tend to try out other Desktops/Windowmanager but still
don't want *any* app installed with it be present in the regular menus
of KDE or GNOME. So it makes perfectly sense to hide it in them. If
you use one of the others you will find it in the menu.

I personally find it way faster to use <alt>-<f2> and type xterm, if i
really want to use it in KDE (doesn't happen at all TBH).

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium