Request for a K3B enhancement... multiple disk data splitting.

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 23:56:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 15:12 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 16:12 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > into
> > >
> > > i agree with need.
> >
> > I disagree. K3B is not a backup program, it's a general-purpose optical
> > burner (and ripper). This kind of "feature" may be useful in a small
> > number of cases, but IMHO it would be better to have a separate tool to
> > do the splitting, which then could be used with other burners or indeed
> > with other media. That's the Unix Way :-)
>
> That is the *command line* Unix way.   Not the graphical Unix way.
>
> The disk splitting isn't just for backups.  Let say I want to store my
> photos (raw and jpgs) onto DVDs to save space on my hard drive.  I want
> them in their native file format, not compressed.  I want the slits to
> be logical.  It will take many disks.

Let's say you want to do all the above but use brasero instead of K3B,
or perhaps cdrecord, or growisofs because you want it in a script. So
now the brasero people and cdrecord people and growisofs are pressured
to add the same thing? What about the people who want to store on tapes
(they exist!). Should we change the tape archiving software as well?

The splitting has nothing to do with the burning, and there's no reason
for them to be tied together. That's the Unix Way and it has nothing to
do with command lines (command lines just make some usage cases easier,
but in this specific case wouldn't help since it's not a natural
pipeline).

poc