KDE 4.4, anyone got CPU scaling support?

Martin Kho lists.kho at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 09:19:51 UTC 2010

> On 03/02/2010 08:52 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Martin Kho<lists.kho at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> Not working. PowerDevil tells me that my system doesn't have "Scaling
> >> capability", although all kernel modules are loaded. I thought, it's
> >> because I'm just a dull desktop user :-)
> >
> > Thanks Martin,
> >
> > If you run:
> > su -c 'cpufreq --info'
> >
> > on the terminal, does that show information? If so, that means your
> > system is configured correctly (and you should be able to change it
> > with cpufreq -g ondemand, etc) and that it's a KDE problem.
>
> On Fedora 12 the command is actually cpufreq-info . Not sure about
> earlier versions.

Hi Chris,

Running cpufreq-info (as Patrick suggested) gives:

---
[martin at ps-1866 ~]$ cpufreq-info (no need to run as root)
cpufrequtils 007: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq at vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: acpi-cpufreq
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0 1
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency: 10.0 us.
  hardware limits: 1.60 GHz - 1.86 GHz
  available frequency steps: 1.86 GHz, 1.60 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 1.60 GHz and 1.86 GHz.
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1.60 GHz.
analyzing CPU 1:
  driver: acpi-cpufreq
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0 1
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 1
  maximum transition latency: 10.0 us.
  hardware limits: 1.60 GHz - 1.86 GHz
  available frequency steps: 1.86 GHz, 1.60 GHz
  available cpufreq governors: ondemand, userspace, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 1.60 GHz and 1.86 GHz.
                  The governor "ondemand" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 1.60 GHz.
---

With cpufreq-set -g <governor> (run as root) I can change the governor.

Martin Kho