konq as kfm new annoyances

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Wed Mar 3 11:01:23 UTC 2010

On 03/03/2010 01:29 AM, Gene Smith wrote:
> Patrick Boutilier wrote, On 02/28/2010 07:43 AM:
>> On 02/28/2010 12:00 AM, Gene Smith wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> What you describe pretty much works for me too. However, this is what I
>>> am doing when I see the behavior:
>>>
>>> Try to rename file from tmp05_ref-mod.c to tmp05_ref-mod-works.c
>>>
>>> 1. Select (highlight) tmp05_ref-mod.c
>>> 2. Press F2
>>> 3. Press right-arrow then left-arrow (positions cursor before the dot).
>>> 4. Type the dash "-". At this point only "mod-.c becomes visible; that's
>>> the "annoyance".
>>> 5. type "works" and hit enter
>>> 6. tmp05_ref-mod-works.c is now completely visible.
>>>
>>> The surprise is what I see in step 4 in that all before "mod" shifts to
>>> the left and out of sight while I type "-works". I renamed a lot of
>>> files in kde 2,3,4 and don't remember seeing this pre 4.4.
>>>
>>> I think the difference is that the rename "box" or outline does not
>>> occupy the full width of the "Name" field but is the same width as the
>>> original name. So when you type more chars into it, the left-shift
>>> occurs to accommodate the longer name in the original length box.
>>>

>> Works fine here. In step 4 when I press right-arrow the cursor is
>> already before the dot (no need for left-arrow). Start typing and
>> nothing shifts.
>
> I think you mean step 3.

Yes, step 3.

  When I press right-arrow, it just removes the
> highlighting. (If I just start typing the highlighted text disappears,
> of course.) After pressing right-arrow, the cursor is to the right of
> the dot, so I have to hit left-arrow to bring it back to its original
> place. Then I start typing and the shift occurs.
>
> (Actually, a left arrow/right arrow has the same effect.)
>

>> The size of the rename box here seems to adjust itself to the length of
>> the file's name. For example the size of the rename box is bigger for a
>> file called
>> fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftmp05_ref-mod.c than it
>> is for tmp05_ref-mod.c
>>

> But if your original file name were f.c, the rename box would be very
> small.

Don't see that here. Rename box is big enough to add 32 characters to
the file name before scrolling starts.

  And as you rename it to ffffffffffffffffffff.c it would not grow