Network Management - probably pebcak needs sorting

Benjamin HAAS haas.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 11:37:55 UTC 2010

Hi,
First time I am posting here! I had exactly the same problem as Anne.
Sometimes, knetworkmanager tells me a that network
management is disabled while everything looks properly configured in the
system settings. this what I do when this happens :
 1.  Kill knetworkmanager
 2.  launch nm-applet (Indeed, I have to keep it installed for such cases !)
 3. On the system-tray icon, *right*-click and I think that you will the
check box "Enable networking" that is unchecked. Check it. The point is that
I cannot find any equivalent of this checkbox in knetworkmanager. (Of
course,I checked before that network and NetworkManager are enabled at
startup !)
 4. nm-applet should work fine now, but you can kill it and relaunch
knetworkmanager, which  should also work.

Hope it helps,

Ben

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Martin Kho <lists.kho at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Petrus de Calguarium
> >
> > <kwhiskerz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > If I am not mistaken,, you have either
> > > knetworkmanager or NetworkManager-gnome
> > > installed, not both.
> >
> > You can have both installed without a problem. If you have both you
> > get a warning (get asked?) from knetworkmanager that another applet is
> > running and if you want to use it or not in the future. So, one is
> > always working.
>
> Hi,
>
> Aren't both knetworkmanager and NetworkManager-gnome more or less
> front-ends
> to NetworkManager? So if the network doesn't work, it has to be
> NetworkManager
> that didn't detect the network-card, or did set up the interface wrongly.
> Are
> there any error messages in /var/log/messages?
>
> Martin Kho

Benjamin HAAS