Network Management - probably pebcak needs sorting

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:37:42 UTC 2010

On Monday 08 March 2010 13:14:19 Martin Kho wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Aren't both knetworkmanager and NetworkManager-gnome more or less
> > > front-ends to NetworkManager? So if the network doesn't work, it has to
> > > be NetworkManager that didn't detect the network-card, or did set up
> > > the interface wrongly. Are there any error messages in
> > > /var/log/messages?
> >
> > Messages appeared to be saying that the cabled connection was OK, but the
> > wireless connection was disabled by 'killswitch'.  Since the hardware
> > switch is in a position where it can get knocked off, I played around
> > with it until Messages accepted that it is on.  However, when I got the
> > authentication dialog there is no entry possibility for WPA!  This is
> > definitely a regression.  I've had WPA with knetworkmanager before, I'm
> > sure.
> >
> > Oddly enough, ifconfig says it has an ipv6 address, but no ipv4 address.
> > Meanwhile, the icon on the systray still tells me that the network is
> > disabled.
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> Just a silly question. You don't - still - have the kde-plasma version of
> knetworkmanager installed?

Seems that I do.  I installed it and never got around to sorting it out.  I
think that maybe the tray icon I'm complaining about is from that.  OK - so
removed the plasma object - the icon remains.  I'll try a reboot in a moment
to see whether the network activates properly.  Funny, though, in the past
I've always been able to see the cabled connection even if the wireless one
wasn't available.

In desperation I installed every tool I could see to help troubleshoot this.
wlassistant tells me "Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No
such file or directory  CONNECTION FAILED".  If things don't work after the
reboot I'll see whether it's still getting that message.

KDE Community Working Group