RFC: kde stability proposal (redux)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Mar 10 22:33:20 UTC 2010

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> It's not only about stability as crashes, regression etc. but also about
> stability in terms of same UI.

This is not something we want or can deliver in Fedora.

It's not like the UIs are radically changing. From one KDE release series to
the next, they're vastly the same.

> So yes - if we can deliver working crash/regression stable update to F12,
> we can for sure do the same for F11. But for some people even small UI
> changes are big changes. You would probably argue that RHEL/CentOS is for
> these users but it's not actually true - these distros are not very well
> suited for desktop usage (hw support is big issue for example). And Ubuntu
> is just crap ;-)

But those distros are really the only good option.

Using the previous stable Fedora is not a viable solution for these people.
It only has 7 months of support as "previous stable". That means that to
always be on "previous stable", you have to upgrade twice a year. There goes
the "UI stability". So trying to target the previous stable release at those
people is a losing proposition anyway. Those folks need something with a lot
more than 7 months of support.

        Kevin Kofler