Maximum number of clients reached

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 17:31:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 15:25 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > I use Chrome as my day-to-day browser and mostly it works well, but if
> > for any reason it crashes, or you shut down or log out without quitting
> > it, it tends to leave several processes lying around, as has already
> > been said. AFAIK these processes will stay there forever unless you
> > explicitly kill them (pgrep -fl chrome; pkill -9 chrome).
> >
> > Then you often have to clean up the mess by removing stuff from
> > ~/.cache/google-chrome/Cache and possibly ~/.config/google-chrome. I
> > haven't completely figured it out yet, but if you don't do this then a
> > new session of Chrome is likely to hang on some of your tabs. The exact
> > conditions aren't clear to me.
>
> As a matter of interest, why do you use it
> as your "day-to-day browser" if it what seems like
> fairly serious deficiencies?

The deficiencies are outweighed by the advantages, or to put it another
way, by the deficiencies of other browsers. I don't want to get into a
browser war here, but I though I've used FF for many years and still
keep it up to date, I find Chrome extremely fast (both to start up and
in page rendering) and on the whole more reliable than FF, in large part
because of the process-per-tab model, which I believe FF will adopt in a
future version. It's also less of a cpu hog.

The problems I mentioned above are annoying, but I know about them and
they only affect me at well-defined moments.

Also, none of the above precludes me from going back to FF if/when it
catches up with Chrome in these areas. Competition is good :-)

poc