fedora-kde target audience, draft rfc

Martin Kho lists.kho at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 10:00:24 UTC 2010

> Thomas Janssen wrote:
> > Since i was the one who suggested it.. :) I do understand you but, if
> > the KDE alternative is just giving a very basic functionality and is
> > having problems (VPN IIRC) then we should consider using what works
> > well, gives more output, does not suggest (again at the beginning of
> > an update to reboot) stupid things.
>
> Uh, VPN problems are a NM/KNM issue, not a KPK one.
>
> The "suggests a reboot too early" bug is bizarre indeed, I should look if I
> can silence those reboot prompts. (I'm for silencing them entirely, KDE
> users are smart enough to know when they need to restart their computer.
> ;-) It'd also probably be the fastest way to zap that bug once and for
> all.)
>
> Another thing I noticed is that KPK doesn't recognize different update
> types anymore after the latest PK update. :-(
>
> I think what needs to happen here is that more people need to test PK
> updates in testing and that those updates need to be BLOCKED from getting
> pushed to stable if they break KPK. Throwing out KPK is entirely the wrong
> solution for such regressions introduced by PK updates. (Neither of the
> above bugs happened before the latest PK update. It's not KPK's fault that
> PK breaks backwards compatibility under it.)
>
> One problem is that PK/KPK (and GPK, too) moves so fast that, even when I'm
> running the latest Fedora release, I'm still always running an already
> deprecated branch, so spending time fixing things might not pay off. (But
> on the other hand, F12 still has 9 months or so to live, so I guess fixing
> F12 issues is beneficial in any case.)
>
> > KPK is in my eyes, ugly, unreliable and too basic. I suggested to you
> > as well to try the latest GNOME-packagekit to see what i mean.
> > I think KPK is on it's way, but not yet ready.
>
> Yet KPK just works. (Neither of the above 2 bugs is a showstopper, they're
> just minor annoyances that can be easily worked around.)

Hi,
Sure? In F12 the latest PackageKit (0.5.7-1) have broken kpackagekit's
automatic update notification. In F13 automatic notification didn't ever work.
And in Rawhide/F14 I had to remove kpackagekit to update my system. Are these
'minor annoyances'? (I know, bz them... :-))

PackageKit develops very fast, that's great. But I get the impression that the
developers/maintainers are not too good in communicating what they are
doing/changing. This must be very frustrating for the kpackagekit
developers/maintainers to keep up with these changes. I don't like to have
gnome-PackageKit in KDE either. I miss programming capabilities, but if I had
them I would create an alternative not depending on PackageKit. IMHO, a
package manager is a very critical app. What about reviving the package
manager that lived in kde 3?

Martin Kho