address book problems

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sat Mar 20 17:35:20 UTC 2010

On Saturday 20 March 2010 16:28:20 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 20 March 2010 14:18:12 John Aldrich wrote:
> > On Friday 19 March 2010, John Aldrich wrote:
> > > It appears I may have complained too soon. The address is now showing
> > > up. I'm not sure what's going on, but I've been trying to add it for a
> > > couple days now and it's just now finally showing up. As for the
> > > Address book, I'm just using whatever is in KMail 1.13/KDE4.4.x. I did
> > > download and install a few Fedora updates this afternoon, so maybe
> > > that's what did it, but I tried entering the addresses in Address Book
> > > several times and it never seemed to show up, either in Address Book or
> > > in the "select" function.
> >
> > Ok. Here's the deal... it's still not working properly. If I use the
> > "select" button on the to: or cc: lines, I can NOT find the email address
> > I just added a few days ago. In KAddressbook, I can't browse the list of
> > email addresses to find what I'm looking for. However, if I *search* the
> > first few letters of the email address in question, it comes up as "spam
> > reports." Why in the heck can I not find that email address in KAddress
> > book by browsing or using the "select" in KMail to find it? What am I
> > doing wrong?
>
> I don't know - things are changing just too fast.  I've no idea where the
> 'spam reports' comes from.  At one point I could use the akonadi
> configuration to set a default addressbook - but that option doesn't seem
> to be there any more - if it's moved, perhaps Rex or Kevin knows where?
>
> For the newly added addresses - did you add them to an addressbook that is
> pointed to std.vcf?  According to the developers that's the prime source of
> data, and the ~/.local/share/contacts is the cached data.
>
> After that, I'm out of ideas.  It works for me, but it's immensely
> frustrating when I can't even find the method I used to get it to work,
> i.e. set the default addressbook.
>
> Anne

Anne, its not that things are moving at Fedora too quickly, its that the
Kontact Akonadi combo is full of bugs.

Before the update to 4.4.1 thnings seemed to be OK. After the updated and
whenever I log off logon or switch of the entire kontact system (Kontact,
Korganizer reminder deamon, Akonadi, Nepomuk) and then restart the entire
system in (reverse order of course) I get an error message from Akonadi
stating that it can't find some resource. When I look at my address book
nothing is there. After sometime, it reapears. When I look at Akonadi
configuration there is no Address book. When I add a tradtional addressbook I
get 2 of them. I cannot delete the first one from my contacts. However, when I
remove the address book from Akonadi and then restart Kontact I get only one
address book.

And of course, the one that really ticks me off, if I were to stop akonadi,
remove ~/.local/akonadi/ and restart akonadi, the database still does not
initialize correctly.

Like I said, the only way that this kind of carelessness (by design or genuine
carelessness) is going to change is if the distro packagers lodge a formal
protest in the way of boycott. We are not KDE's qa department.

Eli

believed to be clean.