address book problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:29:34 UTC 2010

On Sunday 21 March 2010 17:37:14 John Aldrich wrote:
> On Sunday 21 March 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > For clarity's sake, let's start afresh.  First, if you haven't set up
> > the tray icon (type akonadi into krunner and select it), do it now.
> >
> > Right-click on the icon and select Configure.  List the addressbook
> > resources you see there.  For each one, check Modify and tell us where
> > it points to.
>
> Two Address book entries, both point to ~/.local/share/contacts/
>
> > You will almost certainly see some 'Offline' messages - ignore them.
> > It's a known bug that has no impact on your work.
> >
> > Then open KAddressBook - either within Kontact or stand-alone and tell
> > us what addressbooks you have there.
>
> "Personal Contacts"
>
> > We'll tackle your saving problem once we know exactly what you have and
> > haven't got set up.
>
> Sounds good. I did post a similar question in the KDE-PIM list and Ingo
> Klocker said it may be because not everything is ported over to Akonadi
> yet. Which begs the question, why make the changes to an app without making
> sure the "fix" is ready? This is really what frustrates me about major
> upgrades like this... I had a problem several years ago that required a
> different email client for awhile, so I tried an app called Pronto, but
> then they decided to make a change similar to what KDE-PIM is doing and
> require a database. Fortunately, at that time, whatever problem I'd had
> with KMail back then was resolved, but it's frustrating when major changes
> like this are made and the changes to the app are not complete when the
> update is released.

Yes, I saw that comment and didn't understand it.  The thing is that (apart
from the missing distribution lists and some fields not yet visible)
kaddressbook works flawlessly here - I can even create a Group from the dialog
that asks if you want to create a distribution list from the addresses in a
mail.  Sometimes the reason someone's having a problem  is obvious, but
sometimes it's just impossible to guess.

OK - Personal Contacts is your akonadi controlled addressbook - assuming that
the migration went properly.  Just check ~/.local/share/contacts/ and make
sure you can see records there - if you can, that's one thing eliminated.

I'm really struggling to think of something that we haven't already checked.
It seems unlikely to be a permissions thing, but I assume that you've already
checked that.

Just remind me, which versions of Fedora, KDE and Kontact are you using?

KDE Community Working Group