address book problems

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Tue Mar 23 06:21:44 UTC 2010

On Monday 22 March 2010 23:37:20 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > Like I said, the only way that this kind of carelessness (by design or
> > genuine carelessness) is going to change is if the distro packagers lodge
> > a formal protest in the way of boycott. We are not KDE's qa department.
>
> What do you expect us to do? No longer upgrade, leaving you all with 4.4.1,
> the very release you are complaining about? The only thing we can do is to
> work with upstream on getting the bugs fixed and to ship their bugfix
> releases as they come out. A "boycott" would just cause more problems, it
> wouldn't solve anything.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I disagree to some extent. The bugs need to be fixed certainly. However, with
all due respect to everyone. Its time that KDE reallocates all the resources
that have gone into created a brand new shiny gui with lots of great eye candy
and place the same effort into fixing outstanding application bugs. For me
Konqueror needs to stop crashing. It needs to work with major web sites and do
standard things that every browser does, like playing flash videos at CNN or
being able to visit scify.com, etc, etc,etc. Kontact needs to come up and not
complain. I shouldn't have to be playing Akonadi settings, or Nepomuk settings
gee what a great geek I am (thats a joke :). After all the playing I've done
with Akonadi over the last couple of days, my filters seemed to have stoped
working. Frankly... this is getting wearisome. If these things are required
they should simply start transparently. If data integrity needs to be
maintained then it should be maintained. And because of the nature of the data
in Kontact, Kontact should be QAed until tears come out of the developers eyes
from boredom. If kontact requires all these seperate components to work then
they should work completely transparently and without interfereing with other
major subsystems. In my case I have to switch off every Kontact component off
before I can play a game I'm enjoying under wine. I'm sure that everyone has
there favorite gripe these days.

And if KDE cannot take a more professional policy regarding development and
user concerns. Well; at the very least a boycott is in order. Somehow the
message has got to come across over there that us users are part of the
equation. Our data, and computing and meaningful feedback are part of what
enables KDE to evolve. We need to be taken into account. This is not to say
that I'm expecting 100% bug free code. But when something is released as
stable. It should be stable. Don't you think?

Eli

believed to be clean.