Constant reboot

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Mar 23 15:17:51 UTC 2010

Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 March 2010 13:52, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> Since I ended up with a large number of zombie processes for
>> chromium-browser I decided to shut down the laptop completely, to get a
>> clean, cold boot. There I came unstuck.  This is F12, fully updated.  The
>> bubble fills up, I see the Fedora logo, then it reboots.  I could try to
>> catch it and get a level 3 login, of course, but since I haven't a clue
>> what's causing this, I wouldn't know what to do next.  Any ideas?
>>
> Argh!  I can't even get an level 3 boot.  I snatched it and edited the
> grub
> entry, but still it reboots.  I came to the conclusion that grub must be
> damaged, so I ran grub-install, but on reboot, still the same thing
> happens -
> it looks fine up to the Fedora logo, then reboots.  I'm completely stuck.

Utterly absurd for me to suggest something to you -
like telling my grand-daughter how to improve her Irish dancing -
but if it were me I would run something like Knoppix,
and see what was in /var/log/messages , etc.

Actually, the last time this happened to me
my / partition was full.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net