Constant reboot

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:37:54 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 15:35:25 Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> On 03/23/2010 11:46 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 March 2010 13:52, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> Since I ended up with a large number of zombie processes for
> >> chromium-browser I decided to shut down the laptop completely, to get a
> >> clean, cold boot. There I came unstuck.  This is F12, fully updated.
> >> The bubble fills up, I see the Fedora logo, then it reboots.  I could
> >> try to catch it and get a level 3 login, of course, but since I haven't
> >> a clue what's causing this, I wouldn't know what to do next.  Any
> >> ideas?
> >
> > Argh!  I can't even get an level 3 boot.  I snatched it and edited the
> > grub entry, but still it reboots.  I came to the conclusion that grub
> > must be damaged, so I ran grub-install, but on reboot, still the same
> > thing happens - it looks fine up to the Fedora logo, then reboots.  I'm
> > completely stuck.
>
> Same thing with run level S (Single user mode)?

Yes.  No different kernel nor different mode has any effect at all.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-March/089455.html refers to
Fedora 13, but it was exactly the same, and like the reporter there, the
message about  iTCO_wdt was the only thing I could see that looked wrong.
Reverting udev has cured it - I'm writing on it now :-)

The udev package -16 should be avoided.  Apparently -19 is in the pipeline.

KDE Community Working Group