address book problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 23 18:09:48 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 March 2010 17:41:42 Jan Simonson wrote:
> tisdag 23 mars 2010 skrev Anne Wilson:
> > Now that I'm back into the laptop I've checked.  I saved your address,
> > but when I started to type Jan it didn't show up.  However, when I used
> > the Select  button I could choose the correct addressbook, see your
> > address and add it.  I then cancelled the test message.
>
> I'm glad that you managed to solve your problem with the rebooting laptop!
>
> When I try to save an email-address from kmail I get a window titled
> "Select an Address-book" but it's empty so that's a dead end. I have to
> enter it manually into AddressBook. When I press the Select button to the
> right of the address- field in the "new mail" window of Kmail I get a new
> window where I can choose Address-book to use. Available there are "All",
> "resource" and all my distribution-lists, not the "Personliga kontakter"
> (= personal contacts in swedish)  which is the only list in AddressBook.

In KAddressBook, do you have "Personliga kontakter"?  If not, you need to add
it.  That's your main addressbook.  I'm assuming that it is actually set up
correctly (which you can check in Akonadi Configuration - type Akonadi into
krunner), but from what you've said I believe it is, so it should merely be a
case of adding it to kaddressbook.

> BTW, the distribution-lists are useless now as I can't edit them any more.
> What a mess!

The migrator for distribution lists is not in this version.  What you can do
is create a Group (which will replace the old dist-list) then add the
addresses.  That's not as bad as it sounds, as autocompletion works, so typing
2-3 characters of the name allows you to add it.   It's a work-around, but
unless you are one of the people with large club distribution lists it's not
so bad.  You'll need to sort out your Personal Contacts problem first, of
course.  Hopefully we will have the migrator by 4.5 at the latest.

> > Trying a new message again the autocompletion did work - possibly because
> > it  had been put into the recent addresses list?  I don't know.  On the
> > other hand, it may be like trying to locate a package that you've only
> > just installed - if the database hasn't had time to update it doesn't
> > work, yet a little while later it will.
>
> Of course it will work after using it so it's saved in the recent list, but
> that doesn't solve my problem.

Yes - I had expected that it would not be in the recently used list since I
cancelled the message, so I checked kmailrc, which is where the recently used
list is kept.  Your name is not among the addresses, so I think we can be sure
that it's not using that list.

KDE Community Working Group