Nepomuk/Strigi issue(?): files re-indexed after reboot

Steven P. Ulrick fedora-kde at afolkey2.net
Thu Mar 25 08:10:36 UTC 2010

> > > Hello Everyone
> > > 	I apologize if this has already been covered.  If it has, I
haven't
> > > seen it.
> > > 	My issue is that I rebooted my Fedora 12 system recently.
Nepomuk
> > > started up just like it is supposed to.  Unfortunately, the Nepomuk
> > status
> > > window said that something like 6,000 to 7,000 files had been
indexed.
> > > I checked my music collection, and sure enough, the mp3's that I
> > > checked were not showing metadata in the expected location in
Dolphin.
> > > So, it looks like for some reason, Nepomuk started re-indexing my
> > > files.
> > > 	That was the bad part.  This is a kind of odd part: before I had
over
> > > 25,000 files indexed, and the size of my Nepomuk Store was 3.2 GiB.
> > > So, I rebooted, Nepomuk started re-indexing my files, BUT the Store
> > > size was still 3.2 GiB.  So I "assume" that my database had not been
> > > destroyed, but Nepomuk just started re-indexing my files for some
> > > reason...  Also, like I said earlier, the metadata that had been
> > > displayed in Dolphin before I rebooted was gone after I booted back
up.
> > > But, my Store size was still the same...
> > >
> > > Anyway, has anyone else had this issue?  I will attempt to look for
bug
> > > reports to attach my comments to.  If I don't find any, please let me
> > > know the exact component to file this particular issue under.
> >
> > Hello Again,
> > 	I rebooted last night, and this morning I logged back in again.  The
> > Nepomuk Store was still 3.2 GiB, but only approximately 417 files had
> been
> > indexed!
> > 	I will glad do what I can to figure out what is causing this issue.
> > If I don't here from anyone in a few days or so,  I will just find out
> > where this 3.2 GiB store is located, delete it, and disable Nepmuk.
That
> > would be unfortunate, since for the brief time that it was actually
> working
> > for me, it looked really interesting and useful.
>
> Hello Everyone,
> I have had recent, VERY temporary success with Nepomuk/Strigi.  I have
seen
> up to several hours of the re-scanning of my files.  I have even seen
> actual metadata on those files in Dolphin.  But, all that has stopped
now,
> and Nepomuk/Strigi are no longer functional on my system.  I have no idea
> what made everything work temporarily, but I do know that Nepomuk/Strigi
is
> broken again on my system.
>
> Like I said in my previous message, I am interested in making this work.
> So if anyone could please be of assistance to me on this, I would greatly
> appreciate it.

Hello Again,
I just had to reboot, and when I logged back in, Nepomuk just started on
it's own, and scanned successfully for a few minutes.  I even checked one
of the files that it claimed to have scanned, and I could view the metada
in the right column of Dolphin.  So, let's see if things are continuing
with that level of success...

A few minutes later it stopped :(  The metadata that I had seen a few
minutes ago was still there.  So, that's good at least.  I'll leave my
system inactive for a little while and see if Nepomuk starts scanning
again. But, I have seen Nepomuk scan while the system is under load, so
that SHOULDN'T make a difference...  We'll see.

Again, I am really interested in making this work, any help you can give me
is greatly appreciated.

Steven P. Ulrick