Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Mon May 3 12:27:28 UTC 2010

Guido Grazioli venit, vidit, dixit 03.05.2010 13:21:
> 2010/5/3 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You will have noticed by now that my FESCo term is about to expire,
>> that the nomination period for FESCo just closed and that my name
>> does not show up on the list of candidates. No, this is not an
>> accident or negligence, the decision not to run for another term
>> was intentional, for several reasons:
>>

> Hi Kevin, i really like your motivations for being part of the
> fesco, and voted and supported you even if i dont agree on many of
> your points. I have the impression many people feels the same
> frustration like me reading your open letter.
>
> However, in your message you could have proposed something that would
> change the way fesco works, instead of returning on those issues
> which have been discussed, and voted, following the rules. I mean
> something like giving each seater the ability to throw a veto once,
> or discuss and vote issues on separate meetings, or any other
> different idea you could think of after your experience at the
> fesco.

In the post that I read, Kevin actually proposed several things such as
listening to arguments, taking into account community votes etc. What he
did not propose was setting up yet another rule. In fact it seems to be
much more a question of attitude: a process serving the rules, or rules
serving the process (of fostering the open Fedora community and distro).

Michael