Empty boxes under KDE popup windows

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Wed May 12 16:51:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, 11 May 2010, Rex Dieter wrote:

> On May 11, 2010, at 3:58 PM, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Every once in a while with various hardware I see empty boxes left
>> under where a KDE popup window appeared and went away and the app
>> doesn't redraw right away.  Is there a general bug filed somewhere for
>> this?  What is responsible?
>>  Individual video drivers?
>
> Video driver generally

Judging by what I've seen, more than one video driver seems to be
afflicted by this problem.  I see it on a PC that uses the X.Org Intel
driver as well as another PC that uses the binary-blob NVidia driver.  Has
anyone noticed this problem with any other video drivers?

In my experience, the empty box is invariably left in the space that had
momentarily displayed a tooltip for one of the widgets in a Plasma panel.
I'll happily disable those tooltips if/when an option is provided to do
so.  In the meantime, I frequently use the Show Desktop widget to refresh
my desktop and clean up the empty boxes.

Dave
--
Dave Ulrick
Email: d-ulrick at comcast.net