KDE/Gnome ...help i am confused

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri May 28 21:38:23 UTC 2010

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> What exactly does "tuning" mean in this context? Since you can add any
> packages you like, I assume you must mean something else.

The default selection of packages. You'll probably be missing some useful
packages (e.g. one #fedora-kde user who installed from the DVD complained
about kcm_touchpad missing) which you have to track down by hand (which
means that you first need to figure out that they exist in the first place),
and you'll have unwanted GNOME apps polluting your menus. You'll also end up
with GDM rather than KDM if you have both KDE and GNOME installed, unless
you started from the KDE spin which is customized to set KDM to be the
default display manager even if you add GDM after the fact.

        Kevin Kofler