KDE trunk/nightly on Fedora

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 18:44:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 20:37, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> On 10/10/2010 03:43 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Hi all, I haven't used Fedora since FC6, but I want to come back. I
>> have been looking for the "best" way to test KDE developments, and I
>> found he kde-fedora repo. Is it possible to install the
>> latest/greatest KDE from the repo alongside the stable released
>> version, and choose between them from KDM as one would choose between
>> KDE/Gnome?
>
> Currently our kde-unstable repo can track whatever we put into rawhide,
> and that can sometimes include new alpha/beta/rc builds.  If we had a
> bit more manpower (and interest), we could also consider doing builds
> based on weekly upstream snapshot tarballs.

Thanks, Rex. What would that take? I might be the interested party,
but I certainly don't have the skillset currently. I'd love to learn
it, though, and if it helps the community then great! I;ve googled for
how to maintain a package but it looks like a real pain, and KDE
especially so. Is there a specific fine manual that I should be
reading? Note that I've never built KDE from source.

> However, these replace what's currently installed though, and are not
> parallel-installable with stable/released versions.

If I were to build the package, what would need to be changed to allow
it to be a parallel install, much as KDE and Gnome are parallel
installs? Would changing the active ~/.kde directory to ~/.kde-weekly
be enough? Should I ask about this on the KDE list? What should I be
reading?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen