why does thread grouping take so much cpu time?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Thu Oct 14 01:38:16 UTC 2010

Kmail 1.13.5
using KDE development platform 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5)
and Fedora 13_64

and dual core Opteron 4G ram lotsa free disk.

Whenever I try to read a folder with a lot of entries (20k or so) cpu usage
spikes for about two or three minutes and the only activity I can see is
thread grouping. I don't understand why this takes so long. Is there something
I can do about this? It makes the machine only slightly usable until it's over
or until I give up in disgust and click on some other much smaller folder just
to get my computer back. Very frustrating.

Dave