kde-4.5.2 for f13 (and f12)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 27 13:19:02 UTC 2010

Neal Becker wrote:
> Took the plunge.  So far so good.  But now a thought.  What happens when I
> try to upgrade to f14?  If I take the standard route it would try to
> downgrade kde, which might break things.

F14 already has 4.5.2 (in the GA release), so if you upgrade NOW (well, as
soon as you can get ahold of the image :-) FYI, RC1 is the gold image, so if
you have that, you already have the GA version; Beta and TC1 are older), it
shouldn't be an issue.

That said, this issue has always been there, also affecting other packages
(even yum on at least one occasion). My recommendation is just never to
upgrade to a GA release without updates. In other words: use preupgrade, or
run yum on the running system (but the latter is not officially supported,
and it's generally a bad idea to do it from within X11 because such upgrades
have been known to trigger X11 crashes). NEVER use the DVD for upgrading.
(And, as you probably know, the live CD isn't an option for upgrades in the
first place.)

And by the way, Anaconda will never downgrade a package. It will just keep
the F13 updates version, which may have broken dependencies as a result of
the upgrade. The next yum update will fetch the F14 updates version and fix
the issue. But (by upgrading to F14 GA with no updates) you can temporarily
end up with no working KDE until you run the yum update on F14.

        Kevin Kofler