Dolphin partition names

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 19:31:15 UTC 2010

Roderick Johnstone wrote:

> Any suggestions as to how I get Dolphin to show these partitions with
> the new volume labels??

Just a wild guess:

Dolphin likely uses the blkid database to get its names.

You could see man blkid for more information.

In the past, I have sometimes resorted to manually editing
/etc/blkid/blkid.tab. Be careul not to make any changes that will prevent the
system from booting, as these UUIDs are also referenced in /etc/fstab and
/boot/grub/grub.conf. If you do make changes, these files will have to be
updated, and also you will have to make sure that the changed partitions
actually have those new labels (see man e2label). Don't give the swap partition
a new label (unless you know what you are doing), because this produced a
nightmare of interrelated complications, with suspend/hibernate/resume,
dracut's initramfs and who knows what else.