How to Set Routes with knetworkmanager and vpnc

Andrew Parker andrewparker at bigfoot.com
Thu Sep 2 18:47:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Garry T. Williams <gtwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have these installed:
>
>    knetworkmanager-vpnc-0.9-0.20.20100603.fc13.x86_64
>    knetworkmanager-0.9-0.20.20100603.fc13.x86_64
>    knetworkmanager-libs-0.9-0.20.20100603.fc13.x86_64
>
> I have configured my employer's VPN successfully and have no problem
> connecting and disconnecting (modulo the persistent bug that crashes
> knetworkmanager when manipulating the menu).
>
> I need to define additional routes for this connection.  I don't see a
> way to specify this.  I am currently working around it by manually
> adding my routes, e.g,
>
>    sudo route add -net <network> netmask <mask> dev tun0
>
> Is there a configuration file I could modify?

I've had a few problems with vpnc and knetworkmanager.  In the end I
use nm-applet instead as its all configurable from there.  nm-applet
also has the benefit of being able to read the scf config files (via
import) so if you need routes over and above what is in the scf file
you can either configure them manually in nm-applet or add them to the
scf file.