unnecessary config files and dirs

Christian Jann christian_jann at yahoo.de
Sun Sep 5 09:02:59 UTC 2010

On Sun September 5 2010 08:13:58 Dj YB wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been dragging my home folder since fedora 10 and know that some
> problems I got are because of my configuration, few examples
> in kscreenlocker all the windows are black rectangles.
> akonadi requires restarts frequently to watch kaddressbook records
>
> so I wish to get rid of unnecessary configuration files and folders in my
> home folder.
> how do I start, how can I know for sure a directory is not being used for
> something.

- make a Backup of your old home dir
- create a new user
- login as this user and copy only config files that you really need (e.g.
.kde/share/config/kopeterc and .kde/share/apps/kopete/ ...)
- if something is missing use google to find the right config file or simply
look inside your home dir and guess what it could be
- kaddressbook/calendar: export and than import
- kmail: if you are using imap maybe use the account wizard again and don't
copy all your stuff or wait for kmail2
- .kde/share/apps/kwallet/  .kde/share/config/kwalletrc are also important
- maybe delete your hold home dir and move your new home dir to your old (when
everything is working, but keep your backup) and than chown -R olduser:olduser
/home/olduser

I've done it similar when installing F14 alpha on my new pc now I only have to
find a way to sync all my pim data with my laptop, I hope that will get easier
with kmail2.