Beware of KDEPIM 4.4.93 in kde-unstable

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Mon Sep 6 09:18:02 UTC 2010

On Friday 03 September 2010 12:50:21 Rex Dieter wrote:
> Indeed.  kde-unstable is precisely that.  Now that kde-4.5.x is in kde-
> testing, if that's all you want, that's all you should be using.  That
> should be safe.  kde-unstable sometimes isn't.
>
> My sincere apologies if that wasn't entirely clear before and caught folks
> by surprise.
>
> -- Rex

I had updated by mistake, I was in doing several jobs at the same time and did
not notice that the kdepim* packages were among the updates, even though I
remembered your note.

I have 9 dimap accounts configured. The migration process did not went well,
for those accounts that are based on google.mail it worked but some other that
work now it failled.

Even after the migration process was completed kmail would not appear.
Recalling kmail again would import again some of the failled accounts in to a
local archive. The final result was that I had several copies of some of the
accounts and I has not able to remove them from akonadi.

As others have noted previously for large volumes of email the system becomes
really slow, the memory used is so large that the swap is used and then no
work is done.

Several quirks from the process, akonadi throws several pop-ups if some
message is not well downloaded. This is disastrous, you can end with more than
300 pop-ups open. Clearly a pop-up to tell such a trivial thing is not a
solution.

During the migration process I got messages like:
Error while creating item: Unknown error. (NO Unable to write item changes
into the database)

The system was unusable at the end so I had to downgrade to the previous
version.

Due to all the work that was done to insure that a downgrade works I had no
problem reverting to the previous version. (I had to reset the
~/.local/share/akonadi directory because the previous one had 14 GB, and
akonadi would take long time to start)

--
José Abílio