kmail rules, database, and filters gone haywire

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Sun Sep 12 16:41:05 UTC 2010

  I also let the recent kdepim update through and it has caused a lot of
problems, some of which I don't see addressed in the various posts and
replies here. The two biggest issues are these:

Kmail keeps detecting mail on my ISP pop servers as new mail and
re-downloading it so I end up with up to four copies of each message -
then, it seems to figure something out and stops after 4 (I retrieve
mail from multiple computers and only one is set to actually delete mail
from the mail server and then only after 7 days - this allows various
machines I work from to retrieve messages, even if one is turned off for
a few days - this has worked well for years for me, but this is why it's
also able to retrieve the same message multiple times)

My Kmail filters work, but not consistently - usually upon downloading a
batch of messages for the second time, it leaves everything in the inbox
(if I highlight them all and use Ctl+j it applies the filters and the
messages all get sorted in to their respective folders)

I did revert Kdepim to ver kdepim-4.4.6-2.fc13.x86_64
Is this right, and should akonadi and kdepimlibs be at ver
akonadi-1.4.0-0.2.fc13.x86_64 and
kdepimlibs-akonadi-4.5.1-0.1.fc13.x86_64 ?

I've some issues in the past, usually with new installs, where the
database of downloaded messages would seem to get confused and Kmail
would start downloading messages over and over, but this would generally
clear up after a few days. Can anyone suggest a way to fix this?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA