knetworkmanager and plasmoid

Gabriel Ramirez gabriello.ramirez at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 22:07:29 UTC 2010

On 09/16/2010 03:19 PM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> On Thursday 16 September 2010 19:43:47 Gabriel Ramirez wrote:
>> well, if you have your VPN configured via "Manage Connections" in the
>> plasmoid
>>
>> in a terminal run the two commands:
>>
>> qdbus org.kde.kded /kded unloadModule networkmanagement
>> qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule networkmanagement
>

> After uninstalling knetworkmanger and running the commands things appeared in
> the plasmoid.
>
>> after that your vpn connection will be listed in the right side of the
>> plasmoid window under Connections
>>
>> if the connection appears you will have to edit:
>>
>> /usr/share/kde4/services/kded/networkmanagement.desktop
>> and change:
>> X-KDE-Kded-autoload=false
>> X-KDE-Kded-autoload=true
>
> What does autoload paramater do???

  load at startup ( of kde session I think ) the module networkmanagent,
if is not true you will have type the above two terminal commands ( well
only the last one) after each kde session login

default is false, because conflicts with knetworkmanager if both are active

>> you will need deactivate knetworkmanager,
>>
>> maybe nasty things will happen if you run knetworkmanager with the
>> plasmoid at the same time
>>
>> but I don't remember how do it, I did a yum remove knetworkmanager but
>> maybe that isn't a solution for all people.
>
> I uninstalled it and it is a very ugly work around. But it did work. Hopefully
> the plasmoid will not develop a bug :(

Well I'm running the plasmoid from some months ago and works just fine,
dhcp, static ip address, wireless, openvpn,

and the KDE-SIG gave me the info some months ago, I only copied it in
the email

Gabriel