Disk Sleep + Zombie = Frustration!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 7 14:45:19 UTC 2011

Ten years ago I was told that one of the strengths of Linux was that if an
application went down it didn't take other processes with it.  Sadly this no
longer seems to be true.

Today I had used GIMP to make a scan of 200MB.  When I tried to save it it
started, but then went into Disk Sleep.  XSane and, believe it or not, Libre
Office Calc became zombies, responding to nothing that I could find in System
Monitor.  Eventually, remember previous episodes, I asked for a system
restart.  The shutdown began, then hung, leaving me with no option but to
power down.

I know these are not KDE applications, but tracing the parentage through
System Monitor, it seems to go back to kdeinit (from memory - possibly
inaccurate).

This isn't the first such episode I've seen, though it's the worst for a
while.  It's exceedingly frustrating!