CPU temperature after update

Yaroslav Sapozhnyk yaroslav.sapozhnik at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:30:08 UTC 2011

*

>>* 4.6 update the idle CPU temperature was ~42C. However after the update
the*

>>* CPU temperature varies between 48-50C.*

> 50°C is a perfectly safe temperature for your CPU.

>>* I noticed that the lm_sensors-lib package was also updated so I
downgraded*

>>* it. But it didn't help. Testing the initial Fedora 14 KDE LiveUSB the
CPU*

>>* temperature was about 40C so it's not hardware problem.*

> The change may be related to the fact that KDE's PowerDevil was using HAL

> for power management, and now uses upower instead.

I thought upower doesn't influence the fan speeds. I would appreciate if
you'll point me for some differences between HAL and upower.

>>* I did notice that the fan speeds differ from the LiveUSB system now
(e.g.*

>>* for the same temperature LiveUSB fan speed is higher - so the CPU temp
is*

>>* lower).*

>Lower fan speed = less noise and less power consumption.

You know, right now the fan speed is much more aggressive and I have no idea
why it changed. I just wonder if there is some kind of config for fan
control.

>So why are you complaining? :-)

It's just the new behavior and it's unusual :)

--
Regards,
Yaroslav Sapozhnyk