KDE & Desktop Effect with Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 01:40:28 UTC 2011

Hello,
One of our machines  has the following card (as reported by lspci):
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600GT] (rev a1)

I have F14 x86-64 on the machine, fully updated. I use the shipped nouveau
driver. I tried to enable desktop effect but a pop-up box says that it cannot
enable desktop effect after I hit "Apply". I tried both OpenGL and XRender for
compositing option.
Is this a known problem ? Is there a website that lists what nvidia cards can
use the full 3D of nouveau and desktop effect (esp. with KDE) ?

I have another machine that uses nvidia GeForce GTX 260 that works just fine
with F14 and desktop effect (using XRender). Do those cards use different
driver?

I hope I am asking the right list here. Thank you.

AC