Server-based contact list

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Aug 25 13:31:06 UTC 2011

I've been looking for some time for a way (hopefully KDE)
of keeping an address-book/contact list on a server,
so that it can be accessed, and edited, from a laptop.

Presently I'm running OpenLDAP on my server,
but this is not entirely satisfactory.
I use KMail on my laptop,
but the interface with the OpenLDAP server
is not very good (to put it mildly).

The features I would like are:

1. There should be a simple web interface
for accessing and editing the contact list on the server.

2. It should also be possible, and relatively easy,
to access and edit the contact list through KMail/KAddressBook.

3. There should be a simple interface to mobile phones
to allow contacts to be added to, and copied from, the phone.

4. The information stored with each contact
should be as flexible as possible;
there might or might not be an email address,
and there might or might not be a phone number.

I'd be interested to learn how KDE experts
set up their address book(s)?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net