feedback on default plasma-desktop layout

Colin J Thomson colin at g6avk.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 17:54:30 UTC 2011

On Friday 26 Aug 2011 18:24:21 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 25 Aug 2011 Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I know people who can't find files at all once they are no longer in a
> > > Recent Files list :-)
> >
> > That's what the windows paradigm does to computer users. Files are
> > placed into virtual directories like 'my this' and 'my that', so people
> > haven't got a clue where they really are located on their hard drives
> > (and how can they be expected to back anything up when they can't even
> > find it?). When you ask them, they say it's in itunes or it's in the
> > media player, as if the file were inside the program somewhere ;-)
>
> No-one denies that, but this is real life.  If you want to help and educate
> people you don't do it by giving them something so blank that they haven't
> a clue where to start.

FWIW I agree 100% with Anne, all those on here suggesting a blank Desktop is
best are the experienced 4.x users not new user's.

In the end a blank Desktop will lead to a lot of confusion and questions which
then leads to unnecessary work/questions for those involved with KDE.

Colin
--
Fedora 15 (Lovelock)
Registered Linux user number #342953